Microneedling is an FDA-approved electronic fractional device that is used to rejuvenate the skin and improve the skin surface by reducing fine lines, expression lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, and acne scars. The concept of Micro Needling is based on the skin’s natural ability to repair itself whenever it encounters physical injury such as cuts, burns and other abrasions. As the Micro Needling device moves across the skin, it makes pinpoint punctures to create very minor micro-“injuries.” In response to the perceived “injury,” a cascade of growth factors is released, which in turn triggers new collagen synthesis. This process has two major benefits – it effectively stimulates collagen formation and provides a clear channel for topical serums to be absorbed through the surface of the skin. By persistently triggering this healing process with a series of Micro Needling treatments, the body keeps repairing the skin incrementally and cumulatively to offer a result similar to fractional laser treatments or chemical peels, but without the side effects and extended downtime. The result is smoother, firmer and younger looking skin. Once the desired result has been achieved, it is important to maintain collagen stimulation by returning for quarterly maintenance treatments. While most commonly used on the face, Micro Needling can also be used to restore and regenerate the skin on the neck, chest, and hands. Micro Needling is safe for all colors of skin and all types of skin. When doing RejuvaPen for acne scars, pore size and anti-aging we recommend 5-8 sessions, each about 4 weeks apart. In the case of surgical scars and stretch marks on the body, usually 8-10 sessions each 5-6 weeks apart are recommended.
Micro Needling is performed in a safe and precise manner with the use of a sterile, disposable tip that allows effective treatment to hard-to-reach places (e.g. around the eyes, nose, and lips). Prior to the procedure, topical anesthetic cream is applied for patient comfort. The basic Micro Needling treatment includes the application of healing gels and serums during the procedure. When Micro Needling is administered as a part of the PRP Facial, the patient’s own blood-derived growth factors and platelet rich plasma (PRP) are applied during the procedure. The entire procedure is normally completed within 30-45 minutes depending on the required treatment and the anatomical site. New healthy skin appears about 4 weeks after treatment and continues to generate collagen for up to 4-6 months.
Discomfort & Risks:
The sensation of Micro Needling is uncomfortable (described as a stinging sensation), particularly in areas of bony prominence and where the skin is thinner such as the neck and around the eyes. Immediately following the procedure the skin will feel tight, dry, swollen, and sensitive to the touch. It’ll also look and feel sunburned. The sensitivity and redness will diminish significantly within 24 hours. Other common short-term side effects include itching, discomfort, pinpoint bleeding or bruising, scabbing, and darkening of the treated area. Additionally, the skin may look and feel like sandpaper; these effects generally last 2-7 days as the treated skin flakes off and is replaced by new tissue. While adverse reactions are extremely rare, there is a possibility of temporary side effects including but not limited to: infection, scarring, skin and tissue necrosis, herpes simplex outbreak, hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin), and hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin). Darkening or lightening of the skin usually fades within 6 months, but in rare cases, could be permanent. This reaction is more common in patients who are tan or who have darker skin tones. It can result or worsen when treated areas are exposed to the sun too soon following treatment. This risk can be minimized by avoiding sun exposure for 4 weeks before and after treatment and by adhering to pre and post treatment instructions.
You will be asked to discontinue use of Retin A, Retinols, Vitamin A creams and other topic medications for 3-5 days before your micro needling treatment. It is required that you wear a sunscreen daily and use the appropriate home care topical products. Examples are Urban Skin Rx Even Tone Cream or Retinol Pads.
- No sunscreen OR makeup for 12 hours following treatment.
- Wash the face a few hours after treatment or before bed time. Use gentle cleanser such as the one provided in our Urban Skin Rx Post Procedure kit. Gently massage the face with tepid water (a shower can provide an easier ability to massage the face while washing at the same time), and remove all serum and dried blood.
- This will improve the appearance of the skin and also allow for better subsequent absorption of HydraFirm Serum.
- 12-72 hours post-treatment mineral makeup can be applied, but continue to use the Urban Skin Rx Post Procedure kit or a gentle cleanser, hyaluronic acid serum, and physical sunblock with an SPF of 25 or higher. If a more aggressive treatment was performed they should also be instructed to use a more occlusive balm such as Aquaphor.
- After 48 to 72 hours following treatment client can return to regular skin care regimen. Retinol products are strongly suggested to use for optimal results.
- Avoid alcohol-based toners for 10-14 days as well as excessive sun exposure for 10 days.*
* For treatment of acne scars and skin rejuvenation usually 5-8 treatments are recommended as well as combining with TCA CROSS (3 treatments) for acne scars 4-5 weeks apart).
* For management of stretch marks and surgical or keloid scars usually up to 8-10 treatments are required, spaced apart every 5-6 weeks. More time in between treatments is suggested due to the aggressive trauma to the skin, allowing proper recovery time to avoid over-stimulation. If scars/stretch marks are 6 months old or younger, less time in between treatments is okay.
What to Avoid:
To ensure the proper healing environment, be certain to observe the following:
- For at least 2 hours post treatment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula) or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare.
- Avoid intentional and direct sunlight for 24 hours. No tanning beds.
- Do not go swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- No exercising or strenuous activity for the first 24 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, rife with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
As we age our skin reflects damage from the sun, the elements and wear-an-tear of daily life. Photo-rejuvenation, one of today’s most popular cosmetic procedures provides the ideal answer. Consequently, the skin becomes more even toned after a series of treatments with a younger appearance. IPL treatment is often categorized under the same derma-medical umbrella as laser treatment, but it is not the same. By scientific definition, IPL does not use laser technology, but instead use broadband light that flashes in multiple, simultaneous wavelengths(unlike lasers) over the skin’s surface.
- Improves most brown spots and hyperpigmentation from sun damage.
- Can correct and control some melasma
- Improves fine lines, sun-damage, flushing skin & rosacea, enlarged pores, and over-all dull skin complexions
- Gives the skin a smoother, more even tone appearance
- Minimal downtime
- Skin “glows” after a series of treatments
- Any area of the body can be treated
HOW IT WORKS
The entire face is scanned with the intense pulsed light. Without damaging the skin the light penetrates the sub-surface skin layers and is absorbed by the blood vessels or by the pigmentation. The heat impairs the vessels or lesion, and the body begins its natural healing process.
During treatment, the IPL hand piece delivers a series of pulses of light to the treated areas, which stimulates collagen production. This gives the skin an improved texture and allows it to reflect light better. Photo-rejuvenation selectively targets abnormal changes that develop with age and successfully improves fine lines, sun damage, age spots, and symptoms of rosacea, broken veins, and enlarged pores.
Most times the area is treated with multiple passes with customized settings. The formation of new collagen results in decreased fine lines and the repair of sun damage. Treated dark spots and areas of unwanted pigmentation will darken at first, and then flake off or slough off over the next week to 10 days for the face and up to 21 days for the body. The IPL laser will feel warm on the skin with the feeling of a rubber band snapping. After the treatment your skin will look rosey or even slightly sunburned, however you can resume all normal activities as well as put makeup on immediately after the treatment.
- Do not use Retinol or other photosensitizing topical or systemic medications for 3-5 days prior to your treatment.
- Do not receive excessive sun exposure for 2 weeks prior to your treatment, which also means do not come in with tanned (includes self-tanner) or sunburned skin.
- If you want us to go over a part of your skin that grows hair, please shave the area prior to your appointment.
- If your skin is sensitive after the treatment you can apply hydrocortisone cream, aloe, and take Advil for discomfort.
- Use a gentle cleanser, moisturizer and sun block for 48 hours after your treatment.
- Do not use corrective or exfoliating products for those first 48 hours.
PATIENT INFORMATION SHEET
Light superficial and medium depth chemical peels are effective exfoliating, regenerating and stimulating treatments for a variety of skin problems.
It is imperative that to safely and effectively prepare your skin for a chemical peel that you use a complete clinical skin care regimen for a minimum of 14 days. This prep period allows the skin to become use to different exfoliating ingredients and acids. Prepping the skin before hand also allows the melanin levels (color) in your skin to become regulated and receive the peel safely. The client needs to wear proper sunscreen during the prep period.
You will be asked to discontinue use of Retin A, Retinols, Vitamin A creams and other topic medications for 3-5 days before your chemical peel. It is required that you wear a sunscreen daily and use the appropriate home care topical products. Examples are Urban Skin Rx Even Tone Cream or Retinol Pads.
It is suggested when scheduling this treatment to allow some down time just in case the skin exfoliation is more than expected. Even though there may be anticipated peeling, the skin, at various stages of progress, may experience heavier sloughing. Usually this is never more than 1 or 2 days. However, some clients don’t peel at all and some can peel up to 10 days. Whether your skin peels a little, a lot or not at all doesn’t mean the treatment was or wasn’t affective. It is impossible to predict exactly what may happen to the skin. Listed is a general description of what to anticipate.
- Immediately following the treatment, the skin will feel very smooth and tight.
- The skin will generally begin peeling in 2 to 3 days; however peeling can take place anytime for the next 7 days.
- The skin does not always visibly peel. It may take 2 to 3 treatments for this to happen. There are many other advantages from a skin peel.
- Benefits from these procedures may be smoother and softer skin, a healthier glow, less oil, more moisture, refined pores, an improvement in discoloration, diminished fine lines and increased acne control.
- Please keep in mind that an average of 6 chemical peels are recommended each spaced 3 weeks apart to achieve significant improvement in the appearance and condition of the skin. After the series of treatments are completed to maintain the results the client should stay on a complete daily skin regimen and return every 4-8 weeks for a professional exfoliation treatment.
- DO NOT wash your face for 8 hours
- Use a post treatment kit for 5-10 days before returning to your normal skin care regimen
- Do not overheat your skin for 48 hours after the chemical peel: this includes, sweating, exercising, extremely hot showers, or blow-dryers.
- ONLY use mineral make-up for 48 hours following the chemical peel
- DO NOT at any time pick at peeling or sloughing skin
- DO NOT use a washcloth on your face or a scrub for 7 days
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR ACID SKIN PEEL
Superficial skin peeling is designed to remove epidermal layers of skin using an appropriate acid solution. This type of peeling is used to help “dry out” active acne, reduce shallow wrinkling and scarring, in some cases lighten hyper pigmented areas (dark patches), and to improve the overall appearance and health of sun- damaged and aging skin.
Before the acid is applied, it is necessary to prepare and de-fat the skin. This is accomplished in part by cleansing and using a prep solution. You may be given a small hand held fan which may lessen some of the stinging sensation when the solutions are applied. This discomfort lasts usually for about 5 to 10 minutes.
When the treatment is finished, the skin may have a frosted white appearance. This is caused from the solution and usually fades within a few hours. The skin may also be very red and will continue to redden and feel sensitive over the next 24 hours. The skin becomes very tight and dry and there may be very slight swelling. This is normal.
** The outcome of the peel depends solely on YOU! No picking at the skin. Do not expose treated areas to direct sunlight for 2 weeks. 4 weeks is better and never getting direct sun is, of course, optimal.
Clear + Brilliant Laser
Clear + Brilliant is a safe, non-surgical and non-invasive treatment that fights the natural effects aging has on skin. This gentle treatment helps improve tone and texture and gives skin a radiant, youthful glow. It creates a more even skin canvas, with reduction in the appearance of pores and is a perfect complement to individual beauty and lifestyle regimens.
A TYPICAL CLEAR + BRILLIANT TREATMENT
- Requires about 30 minutes for a complete session
- May involve application of topical numbing cream to your face prior to treatment in order to provide additional comfort
- Is delivered by your skin care professional, who will gently guide the Clear + Brilliant hand piece across the target area and actively treat your skin
- Utilizes the patented Intelligent Optical Tracking™ System (IOTS™) to ensure your skin care professional maintains proper contact with your skin and provides a uniform application to all treated areas
- With Clear + Brilliant Perméa treatments, a topical antioxidant serum will be applied to the skin immediately after treatment
- Immediately post treatment, you may experience some redness and mild swelling, but both typically diminish in about 12 hours
- Over the next few days, you may experience some itchiness or skin sensitivity (to touch or temperature). Both are indications of the natural renewal process and typically dissipate a few days after treatment. It is normal for your skin to be a shade darker and be rough like sand paper for 7 days.
- We recommend using a gentle cleanser and moisturizer as well as a physical SPF 30+ for the first 2-3 days after the treatment.
- After 48-72 hours you can return to your normal corrective daily regimen. This should include retinol or Retin A and a physical SPF 30+.
A series of 5-8 sessions are recommended with treatments being spaced approximately 2 weeks apart.
Lamprobe Treatment Information
The Lamprobe is a cosmetic treatment that incorporates radio and high frequency technology which produces a current that enables rapid and precise, non-invasive treatment of minor skin irregularities. As in any cosmetic procedure, the treatment goal is for aesthetic improvement, not perfection. The number of treatments necessary will vary between individuals and the areas being treated. Several factors including skin color, age, hormonal activity, inherited conditions, and other influences may decrease effectiveness of treatment.
The Lamprobe only takes 1 treatment to immediately eliminate imperfections! During 15-45 minute procedure, the noninvasive Lamprobe emits high radio frequencies that convert to heat, which brings liquids to the surface to diminish skin anomalies. The treatment provides minimal discomfort, with downtime lasting from 1-2 days up to 10 days, depending on the treatment.
Lamprobe removes minor skin irregularities:
- Skin tags
- Clogged Pores
- Broken Capillaries
- Cholesterol Deposits
MULTIPLE BENEFITS OF THE LAMPROBE
- Fast treatment time
- No anesthesia needed
- Little to no downtime
- Minimal discomfort
- Immediate results
- Extremely precise
- Non invasive
The Lamprobe has become extremely popular across the globe for several reasons. Most importantly, it treats common skin conditions extremely quickly without anesthesia and only in one treatment. This treatment allows skin care professionals to improve patient’s skin conditions regarding unwanted and superficial irregularities.
PRE- & POST-TREATMENT ADVICE
- Do not touch or scratch the treated area
- Avoid perfumed or alcoholic-based products
- Avoid using soap or foundation for 24 hours –Translucent powder is permissible
- Avoid sun exposure 48 hour before and 72 hours after
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sports for 48 hours following
- Avoid alternating hot/cold conditions
- Do not exfoliate the skin. Let the small crusting fall off on its own
Exilis Laser – Laser Skin Tightening
WHAT IS EXILIS?
The Exilis is the latest FDA approved non-invasive treatment for body shaping, cellulite reduction and skin tightening. The Exilis Laser uses the safe, non-cancer causing frequency Energy Flow Control system used to deliver maximum results to the treated area in the shortest time while ensuring safety, comfort and results. Clients can expect to lose inches, tighten skin and/or reduce cellulite in the arms, abdomen, back of thighs, inner thighs and the back. There is minimal discomfort and no recovery time.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Controlled heat is delivered 1 to 3 centimeters under the skin, right where those stubborn fat cells are. The Exilis heats up the fat cells to increase metabolism in that area which shrinks the size of each fat cell.
The heat produced from the laser will disrupt old collagen while your body’s own natural process will evoke new collagen fibers. As early as after one session you will quickly begin to see your smooth, tight, young skin.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
Everyone is different, but in general most people begin to see a measurable difference after 1 to 3 visits. Most clients can expect to see excellent results after only 6 treatments. Clients who want to lose larger volumes may opt for 8 or more treatment sessions.
For the purpose of Skin Tightening sessions should be 7 days. For the purpose of Fat Reduction sessions should be scheduled 10 to 14 days apart. Each treatment should take approximately 20 to 40 minutes.
WILL IT HURT?
The Exilis technology is a safe and comfortable treatment. The treated area will be consistently monitored to ensure there are no temperature changes that would cause prolonged periods of discomfort.
For Skin Tightening:
- Is great for crêpe loose skin caused by excessive weight loss, pregnancy and childbirth.
- Also effective for treating aging skin in the neck, jowl and under the eyes.
- If client is suffering from loose, crêpe skin and stretch marks we recommend a series of Dermapen treatments in addition to the Exilis.
PREPARING FOR TREATMENT
- Drink 64 ounces of water each day for three to four days prior to each session (more if you sweat a lot)
- Drink 64 ounces of water each day for three days after each session. (more if you sweat a lot)
- Treatments should be spaced out 10 to 14 days apart.
- Mid Face and Neck
Laser Hair Removal
PRE- & POST-CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Urban Medspa & Weight Loss Center uses a Candela Gentle Yag laser which is safe for all skin tones and colors. However the laser doesn’t work on white, gray, blonde or red hair.
Laser hair removal is FDA-approved as permanent hair reduction. On average 6-8 treatments are necessary to reduce the hair growth by approximately 95%.
Most clients will need touch-ups after they complete the 6-8 treatments. Touch –ups are an average of once a year, however females with male patterned hair growth may need touch-ups more frequent to keep the hair reduced by 95%. Keep in mind that hair growth is instigated by many different internal causes; some examples are hormonal fluctuations, stress, medications and weight gain. These factors are what will determine how many touch-ups you will need and how often.
TREATMENTS ARE SPACED AS FOLLOWS
- Face: Every 4-6 weeks
- Midsection (includes bikini and arms): Every 6-8 weeks
- Legs: Every 8-10 weeks
** The treatments only work on active growing hairs. This means if you come in with less than 15% hair growth it is a waste of a treatment and your money. Please call us before the day of your appointment to reschedule for another 2-4 weeks out when this applies to you. **
- Avoid the sun for 10 days before and 10 days after the treatment You must avoid bleaching hair 1 week prior to treatment
- NO plucking, waxing or depilatory crème for 7-10 days prior to treatment. You may continue to shave (From now on the old myth that shaving causes hair growth no longer applies)
- Arrive for the appointment with the area cleanly shaven; this includes the fine baby hairs
- Any make-up, moisturizer, sun screen, etc. must be removed from the area to be treated ( think “Squeaky Clean”)
- Avoid sitting in any direct sunlight for 48 hours.
- Always wear sunscreen when any sun exposure is possible (SPF 30 with UVA/UVB protection) DO NOT shave for 48 hours after each treatment
- DO NOT pluck or wax in between treatments. ONLY SHAVE
- If the treatment causes mild folliculitis (white heads) this isn’t an adverse reaction so don’t worry. Apply some alcohol or acne products to the white heads for 2-3 days and it should go away.
- If any blistering scabbing occurs (extremely rare), please call us immediately. If this happens and it is after office hours apply Neosporin and sunblock to the area until you get in contact with us.
For the next two weeks or so, it may appear as though the hair is still growing but it is actually falling out. Once the hairs have fallen out, you should be hair free for a couple weeks and then the next hair cycle will begin to grow.
For this reason, you may notice that some treatments work better than others.
Laser hair removal is uncomfortable for some patients. It is described to feel similar to a rubber band snapping against the skin with a hot sensation. We can give you ice to numb the area and minimize the discomfort if you request.
**The laser hair removal treatments will not fade the hyperpigmentation or scarring you have gotten from your unwanted hair growth. Please ask your technician to recommend Urban Skin Rx products and Urban Medspa & Weight Loss Center services to help correct uneven skin tone.
Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment
- Sun exposure and/or usage of a tanning bed, including self-tanning products must be avoided for a minimum of 1 week to minimize risk of post-treatment temporary dyspigmentation (darkening or lightening of the skin). A micro needling treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Bruising with injections may occur. Avoid aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications (i.e. ibuprofen), blood thinners, herbal supplements, vitamin E and fish oil for at least one week prior to and the day of micro needling to minimize bruising risk and maximize platelet function. You may restart these the 3 days following micro needling. Any bruising that may occur may be covered with makeup as needed.
- Area to be treated must be clean, and free of any lotion, makeup, and sunscreen. Please wash off completely prior to treatment.
- Accutane should be discontinued for a period of at least 6 months prior to and during any course of receiving treatment. Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac and similar retinoids should be avoided for 1 week prior and after treatment until well healed.
- No area/s to be treated should receive any type of chemical or laser peel for 2 weeks prior and after treatment.
- Waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories should be avoided for 2 weeks prior and after treatment. Shaving is allowed immediately before treatment and 48-72 hours after treatment as long as there is no skin irritation.
- Notify the provider of any tattoos, including cosmetic tattooing, in the area to be treated as tattoos are usually avoided.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we may recommend prophylactic oral antiviral therapy in the form of Valtrex or Famvir.
- During the course of your treatments, notify our staff of any relevant changes to your medical/health status.
- Redness will occur and resolve within 1-3 days. The skin may feel tight, dry, swollen, and sensitive to the touch. The treated area/s may darken and flake away within 1 week.
- Avoid picking or exfoliating the area and allow old/dry/dead skin to flake off naturally.
- Starting on the evening of the treatment, wash your face gently with a mild cleanser twice daily followed by application of hyaluronic acid and Serum/Creams (that nourishes new collagen). Avoid makeup for 24 hours and then you may return to your regular skin care routine when healed.
- Sun exposure must be avoided until healed (i.e. any skin redness and/or flaking away of skin is no longer present), usually 3-7 days. We recommend avoidance of the sun in all treated area/s, a protective hat and full spectrum sun block of SPF 30 or higher.
- Do not use exfoliating medications, chemicals, or non-recommended products on the treated areas for at least 1 week.
- Avoid exercise that causes sweating, jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths for 3 days.
- Tylenol may be taken as necessary for discomfort. Ice packs may be used if desired to minimize swelling.
If any problems should occur after your treatment, inform a representative at our office immediately after a reaction has occurred or within 24 hours of any side effects. If immediate care is needed, a practitioner will evaluate the patient and necessary treatment will be provided. If you do not contact the office within 24 hours you will be held liable for any permanent changes that may occur.
Sclerotherapy is a popular method of eliminating varicose veins and superficial telangiectasias (“spider veins”). Spider veins are the very small branching veins on the surface of the skin. A solution, called a sclerosing agent, is injected into the veins. We use a highly concentrated salt solution (hypertonic saline) to reduce any risk of allergic reactions.
The majority of persons who have sclerotherapy performed will be cleared of their varicosities or at least see good improvement. Unfortunately, however, there is no guarantee that sclerotherapy will be effective in every case. Approximately 10% of patients who undergo sclerotherapy for varicose veins will have poor to fair results. (“Poor results” means that the veins have not totally disappeared after six treatments.) In very rare instances, the patient’s condition may become worse after sclerotherapy treatment. Spider veins respond much better than varicose veins. Approximately 90% of patients who have injections for these small veins are very pleased.
The number of treatments needed to clear or improve the condition differs from patient to patient, depending on the extent of varicose and spider veins present. One to six treatments may be needed; the average is three to four. Individual large veins usually require one to three treatments.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS?
The most common side effects experienced with sclerotherapy are:
- Itching: You may experience mild itching along the vein route. This itching normally lasts one to two days.
- Transient hyperpigmentation: Approximately 30% of patients who undergo sclerotherapy notice a discoloration of light brown streaks after the treatment. In almost every patient, the veins become darker immediately after the procedure. In rare instances, this darkening of the vein may persist for four to twelve months. It is more common following treatment of larger veins.
- Sloughing (Ulceration): Sloughing occurs in less than 3% of patients who receive sclerotherapy. Sloughing consists of a small ulceration at the injection site that heals slowly. A blister may form, open, and become ulcerated. The scar that follows should return to normal color. You may have what looks like chicken pox or vaccination-looking scar.
- Pain: A few patients may experience moderate to severe pain and some bruising, usually at the injection site. The veins may be tender to the touch after treatment, and an uncomfortable sensation may run along the vein route. This pain is temporary, in most cases lasting one to seven days.
Other side effects include a burning sensation during injection, the development, usually temporary, of new tiny blood vessels (“matting”), transient swelling of the vein which may cause the ankles to swell, temporary superficial blebs or wheals (similar to hives), and very rarely wound infection, poor healing, scarring. Things will look worse before they look better.
Phlebitis is a very rare complication seen in approximately 1 or every 1000 patients treated for varicose veins greater than 3-4mm in diameter. The dangers of phlebitis include the possibility of pulmonary embolus (blood clot to the lungs) and post phlebitis syndrome, in which the blood clot is not carried out of the legs, resulting in permanent swelling of the legs.
- Patient must have compression stocking of 30- 40mmHg or greater with them at the time of treatment
- Compression stockings which must be worn directly following treatment and used continuously for one week. Be sure that compression stockings fully cover areas treated.
- Additional treatments can be performed after a minimum for four weeks
Botox Cosmetic and Botox (made by Allergan) have 6 U.S. FDA label approvals, including treatment of expression lines/facial wrinkles and hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). When injected by a properly qualified and trained medical professional in an appropriate medical setting, U.S. FDA-approved. Botox Cosmetic is an extremely safe treatment.
Botox blocks the ability of the stimulating nerve to cause contraction of the injected muscle. This does not result in permanent paralysis. It does reduce or substantially eliminate the ability of this injected muscle to contract and produce overlying skin wrinkles. But it is not permanent. Your body metabolizes it in 3 to 4 months.
- Avoid excessively exfoliating your face
- Avoid blood thinners (such as Advil, Ibuprofen, etc.; Tylenol is safe)
- Don’t touch your skin where the Botox was injected. Avoid rubbing and massaging the treated area for 24 hours because you don’t want to make the Botox spread to other unintended muscles.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity.
- Avoid consuming large amounts of alcohol.
- Avoid getting facials, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, etc. for 24 hours.
- Avoid taking the blood thinning medications mentioned above.
- If you get a Botox bruise, topical Vitamin K and arnica can help. Green or yellow concealers can also help cover up the bruises.
- Call USS if you experience any side effects or complications from the Botox treatment.
Dermal fillers are delivered under the skin surface with a very fine needle. Once injected, the gel plumps and lifts the skin gently to replace collagen loss caused by the natural aging process. Movement and sensation are not affected – your lips and skin will look and feel soft and natural.
Fillers typically last 6-12 months depending on the product used and the area it is injected. Juvederm is the only HA filler that is approved by the FDA to last up to 1 year. Juvederm Voluma, which instantly adds volume to the cheek area will last for up to 2 years in patients over the age of 21.
We recommend planning your filler treatment at least 2 weeks prior to any special event. When the lips are treated, they may appear swollen and somewhat uneven during the first few days. While most side effects are mild to moderate in nature, these can include temporary injections site reactions such as redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration.
- Avoid aspirin for 3 days prior to your appointment and Advil or Motrin the day of the procedure.
- Don’t touch your skin where the filler was injected. Avoid rubbing and massaging the treated area for 24 hours because you don’t want to make the Botox spread to other unintended muscles.
- While light activity is fine, avoid strenuous exercise during the first 24 hours following treatment. Activities that raise the heart rate may increase chances of bruising.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages and extended exposure to sun or heat for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid getting facials, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, etc. for 24 hours.